Earfun Uboom L Firmware Update 5.0 sucks

Dec 30,2022
U937869825
Dec 30,2022 at 4:19 am
Dec 30,2022 at 4:19 am

Ok, I purchased two Earfun Uboom L for stereo listening experience because I think Oluv did a pretty good job providing a nice balanced sound, not perfect, but noticeable better than the original first firmware.
I could've used maybe just a  little more bass like %20-%30 and a little volume increase, but I'm using a third party EQ to fix that.
Now, I did try the latest 5.0 firmware version wich is not Oluv's work.... I think you guys went backwards there...we can't listen now at very low volumes anymore, EQ is flipped so the highs are muddy now with a more bass and volume, wich is awesome, but it sounds soulless....more like an ordinary cheap $20 loud portable speaker....not a $79 device....all that work Oluv did for you to overwrite that and come up with that 5.0 firmware...
I know you guys did that to satisfy the masses of people demanding "loudness", but sacrificing quality....

If you flip back the current  indoor  EQ mode (where you have the bass) to the  outdoor mode,  I think it will give back that crispy sound with soul that the Earfun Uboom L came with the first time or simply give it just a little more highs, but not too much. I hope you guys correct that to keep a really unique good quality sound speaker. Thanks!

Report Reply
EarFun CS Team

Staff Member

Dec 30,2022 at 9:31 am
Dec 30,2022 at 9:31 am

Hi friend,

Thanks for your message. We will give feedback to our team. Sorry for the inconvenience caused. 

Happy New Year!

Sincerely,

EarFun Customer Service Team

Report #1 Reply
U406804388
Dec 30,2022 at 3:57 pm
Dec 30,2022 at 3:57 pm
EarFun CS Team said:

Hi friend,

Thanks for your message. We will give feedback to our team. Sorry for the inconvenience caused. 

Happy New Year!

Sincerely,

EarFun Customer Service Team

Click for original message

Good Morning Sir. 

Can you email me the firmware version 0.4.6 please. 

Email: software_reviews@outlook.com

Report #2 Reply
U868064248
Jan 04,2023 at 7:42 am
Jan 04,2023 at 7:42 am

Only problem with Oluv's tuning is it's far too bright on-axis (by design to sound better off-axis, apparently).

So now we have a tuning that is shrill when the speaker is pointed towards yourself (0.4x), and a tuning that sounds like farts (0.5x)

I know you guys got feedback about lacking bass, but maybe if you corrected the treble response many of those complaints would go away. Boosted highs absolutely contribute to making the lows sound anemic.

The first priority should always be on-axis listening. People generally point speakers towards themselves when listening. For off-axis, perhaps you can overload the outdoor button to allow for more modes, or just keep outdoor the way it is currently, but the default tuning should always be optimized for indoor and on-axis.

Report #3 Reply
U362842857
Jan 06,2023 at 10:46 am
Jan 06,2023 at 10:46 am

I recently compared the Oluv-tuned  0.48 to the non-Oluv-tuned 0.50 on my Uboom L.

The former definitely sounds better to my ears but both  versions still exhibit the annoying crackling sound in video mode (and video is what I bought the speaker for in the first place). It seems to me, that 0.50 suffers from this a bit less than 0.48 so I am sticking with that but overall it's less than optimal (particularly, since none of my other BT speakers seem to have this problem and it only occurs in low-latency, ie. video mode).

Report #4 Reply
Borimason
Jan 08,2023 at 10:38 am
Jan 08,2023 at 10:38 am

I don't care if 0.5.0 is louder or bassier. I compared  both new firmwares on reasonably good headphones, and i wouldn't even consider staying on 0.5.0. In my opinion EarFun went far enough with Oluv's tuning.  The speaker was  good enough with 0.4.3 . Earfun did the extra mile with providing new firmware updates, though there is no official information about what the updates bring/fix.  I guess the crackles in video mode (in my case they are not always present) could be impossible to fix via firmware, so they advise not to use video mode combined with outdoor mode. It's a 60$ speaker, and we shouldn't be complaining if the speaker doesn't have "the perfect sound".  People will always have different preferences when it comes to sound.

Report #5 Reply
U362842857
Jan 15,2023 at 11:29 am
Jan 15,2023 at 11:29 am
Borimason said:

I don't care if 0.5.0 is louder or bassier. I compared  both new firmwares on reasonably good headphones, and i wouldn't even consider staying on 0.5.0. In my opinion EarFun went far enough with Oluv's tuning.  The speaker was  good enough with 0.4.3 . Earfun did the extra mile with providing new firmware updates, though there is no official information about what the updates bring/fix.  I guess the crackles in video mode (in my case they are not always present) could be impossible to fix via firmware, so they advise not to use video mode combined with outdoor mode. It's a 60$ speaker, and we shouldn't be complaining if the speaker doesn't have "the perfect sound".  People will always have different preferences when it comes to sound.

Click for original message

Unfortunately, I still get the crackles  (occasionally, not always) in video mode with outdoor mode switched off. I don't believe 0.43 had this issue.

And, yes, you're right - it is a $60 speaker but  I also have speakers from  competitors which are similarly priced or maybe a bit more expensive (JBL, Soundcore) and they do not have this issue.  I am not complaining, just saying. It's a competitive market segment and my hope is that the feedback helps and Earfun will keep improving their exisiting products or at least fix the issues. Competition is good as it results in progress.

Report #6 Reply
JohnWet
Sep 09,2023 at 11:17 pm
Sep 09,2023 at 11:17 pm

I just compared 4.5 vs 5.0 firmware and I have to say that 5.0 is really horrible. Sound is muddy and boomy and very very unpleasant. Completely unusable. 

4.5 version is fine. At medium/low levels sounds full but detailed, not overly boomy.

I hope that downgrade to 4.5 or 4.8 is possible.

Report #7 Reply

Thread Info

0 Likes

8 Replies

Last replied by JohnWet

Community Highlight

About The Technology Category About The Technology Category

by EarFun Admin Dec 31,2021

Forum Statistics

693 Discussions

1157 Messages

2235 Members